Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, is a tropical paradise that seamlessly blends natural beauty with vibrant urban life. The capital city of Hawaii, Honolulu is located on the island of Oahu and is renowned for its iconic Waikiki Beach, historical sites like Pearl Harbor, and the stunning Diamond Head crater. Visitors can enjoy a perfect mix of sun-soaked relaxation, cultural exploration, and water activities, making it a top destination for cruisers.
Top Things to Do in Port:
- Waikiki Beach: Relax on the famous Waikiki Beach, known for its golden sands and surf-ready waves.
- Pearl Harbor: Explore the historic Pearl Harbor, home to the USS Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri Battleship.
- Diamond Head Summit Trail: Hike to the top of Diamond Head for breathtaking views of Honolulu and the Pacific Ocean.
Currency and Payments: The official currency is the United States Dollar (USD), and most establishments, including shops, restaurants, and attractions, accept major credit cards. It's advisable to have some cash on hand for smaller vendors and tips.
- Rental Cars: Renting a car provides the flexibility to explore the island at your own pace, with major rental agencies available.
- Public Transportation: TheBus is Oahu's public bus system, offering an affordable and efficient way to travel around the island.
- Rideshare Services: Services like Uber and Lyft operate on the island, providing convenient transportation options.
Language: English is the primary language spoken in Honolulu and throughout Hawaii. However, you may also hear Hawaiian, a Polynesian language, which adds to the cultural richness of the island.
Local Cuisine: Indulge in the flavors of Hawaiian cuisine while on the island. Sample various types of marinated raw fish called Poke. If seafood is not what you are seaking, you can try loco moco, a comfort food delight with rice, a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and brown gravy. Another good option is to savor Huli Huli Chicken, a grilled dish with a flavorful marinade, representing the island's barbecue culture.
Shopping on the island: Hawaiian options to shop for are traditional Hawaiian clothing such as aloha shirts and muumuus, Here you can purchase beautiful flower leis and haku (flower crowns) as memorable souvenirs. Before you leave the island explore local markets for handmade crafts, including Hawaiian quilts, ukuleles, and traditional artwork.